Believe it or not, there are a number of things you can do to makeover your home without breaking the bank. Try one or all of these ideas for an instant update to your space!
- Rearrange your furniture. The whole feel of a room can change just by moving your existing furniture around. Changing the focal point or pulling sofas away from the wall or facing chairs in a different direction can make a huge difference.
- Dress up your windows. If you donâ€™t already have window coverings, try purchasing fabric and making valances, which is sure to add a level of completeness to the room. Alternatively, if you currently have drapes, try adding tassels or another trim to add depth and character to your window treatments.
- Beautify your built-ins. If you have built-ins such as bookshelves, consider painting or adding wallpaper to the visible backing of them. You could even paint the entire built-in with a color thatâ€™s complimentary to the walls. Itâ€™s a fun way to add a punch of color without having to repaint the entire room.
- Consider a chair rail. With the invention of stick-on molding, adding a chair rail to a room is a breeze. For added drama, pick a paint color you love and paint the area above and below the chair rail a different shade of it.
- Give your furniture a slipcover makeover. If your furniture is in bad shape, then slipcovers are not the answer. However if your furniture is in good condition, but looks dated, then using slipcovers is an inexpensive way to bring it back to life. Save extra money by making one yourself, while still not compromising on the fabric that you would like to use!
- Update your pillows. Although you can purchase new, you can get exactly what you want by adding new covers to your current pillows. Make the area a bit more cohesive by replacing an overabundance of little pillows with a smaller number of larger pillows.
- Paint your front door. Donâ€™t forget the easy touches you can give the outside of your house. Give that front door some character by covering it in affordable exterior paint. Think fun colors like shades of yellows, blues, greens and reds. Make sure to check with your HOA prior to any exterior paint changes of course!
- Rearrange your wall hangings. If the artwork on your wall hasnâ€™t been moved in years, try finding it a new home. You could even have some items reframed so they stand out even more, or you can build a frame yourself with some crown moulding.
- Change out the shower curtain. It doesnâ€™t get any easier than this. Changing the shower curtain is a very simple way to freshen up any bathroom.
- Spice up your kitchen cabinets. A fresh coat of paint or stain goes a long way. If youâ€™re happy with the color of your cabinets, jazz them up with some new hardware.
- Light it up. Replace outdated fixtures with something new. A simple chandelier, some pendant lighting, wall sconces, even new lamps or lampshades can dramatically change the look of the room.
- Mirror, mirror. On the wall, that is. Mirrors are a simple way to add character to any room. Additionally, mirrors give the illusion of a larger space. Check out our online gallery, or come in to see any current selection of high end consignment mirrors we may have!
- Think green. Not only do they purify the air we breathe, plants can be a wonderful decorating tool. Add some greenery to your home showcased in a variety of colored pots.
The great news is that you donâ€™t have to be an artist or an avid do-it-yourselfer to redo your space. It is doable for anyone to beautify their home on a budget with the help of Scottsdale Consignment, Interior Fabrics and some creativity!