Decorating a home is a very personal thingâ€”and while there are exceptions to many rules, other times, there are not. Here weâ€™ll take a look at 7 deadly sins of decorating, which should be avoided at all costs.
- Excess clutter (a.k.a. hoarding). Knickknacks can be cute, but when you lose sight of the surface theyâ€™re sitting on, you have one too many. Avoid the mess by learning how to edit your accessories in a way that looks pleasing to the eye. Store what you just canâ€™t part with in a box, and then rotate them when you want a change.
- Neglecting the entryway. For many families, especially ones with attached garages or basement entries, the front door doesnâ€™t get much use. This doesnâ€™t mean it should be neglected. Considering it is the entry point for visitors, it should make a good first impression. Take time to put something there that jazzes the area up a bit.
- The wrong lighting. Lighting has so much influence over the appearance of a room. Itâ€™s important to layer your lighting throughout the house, ensuring that each space is lit accordingly. To vary the levels properly, install dimmers whenever possible.
- Matching everything. Itâ€™s your space, which means it doesnâ€™t have to be cookie cutter. Donâ€™t get the entire matching furniture set and donâ€™t match the rug perfectly to the drapes. Be sure to give your space thought, keeping it personal and a bit eclectic.
- All furniture against a wall. Fight the urge to shove everything up against the walls in your home. Keep the space interesting by pulling items closer to the center, grouping them in a way that fosters conversation when there are people in the room.
- Lack, or fear, of color. Color makes us happy, so why does it seem so hard to bring into our homes? White or beige walls can be nice, but theyâ€™re safe. If you just canâ€™t bring yourself to paint some walls in a color you love, be sure to work it in the space through other ways such as accent pillows and accessories.
- No sense of you. Living in a home that doesnâ€™t reflect your style and personality is probably the worst sin of them all. Be sure not to take yourself so seriously and incorporate some humor and wit into your dÃ©cor.
When you are looking for a designer interior fabric store near you in Plano, TX, stop by our Cutting Corners location in Dallas, Tx for great deals on discount designer fabrics. You will find something for every home interior project from gorgeous drapery fabrics to light weight cottons and luxurious Dupioni Silks.