Sometimes we have no control over how big our home is. And in those cases where weâ€™re faced with small spaces, it takes a little creativity to make it appear bigger than what it really is. Make the most of your small spaces by following some of these clever tips and tricks.
- Bring in more light. Lighting can have a huge impact on a room. Utilize as much natural lighting as you can by sticking with sheers on the window. If youâ€™re short on windows, install more lighting if possible, or strategically place more lamps or lighting sources throughout the space.
- Choose a lighter color palette. Dark colors donâ€™t always make small spaces look smaller, but they donâ€™t generally make them look bigger. To keep the room looking spacious, stick with lighter hues. Softer shades of white, cream, blue, green, gray and even yellow, in both paint color and fabrics, are ideal choices for making the space look bigger.
- Add mirrors to your decor. Mirrors are a great way to open up the space because of all the light they reflect. Hang them close to light sources for maximum effect.
- Arrange furniture sensibly and buy multi-functional when able. You donâ€™t have to push furniture up against the wall to give a room more space. In fact, many pieces are best suited in the center or the room, or even at an angle. Take your lifestyle into consideration and layout your furniture in a way that makes sense. When possible, purchase multi-functional pieces. Ottomans or chests that double as a coffee table, and beds with storage drawers are just a couple of examples of pieces that allow for less furniture. Additionally, donâ€™t feel like you have to use small furnishings in the space. One large sofa will make the space feel more open than a bunch of smaller pieces will.
- Help the eye move upward. Itâ€™s important to remember that a room seems taller when the eye is directed upward. When decorating, take advantage of what vertical space you have, using tall bookcases or shelving, vertically striped wallpaper, or a colorful ceiling.
Remember, small spaces donâ€™t have to be a bad thing. They can actually be quite beautiful and functional. Simply thinking outside the box, and making the most of what you have, can give you that illusion of a larger room.
When you are looking Interior Fabric to make your spaces look bigger near you in Cedar Park, TX, stop by our Interior Fabrics location in Austin, Tx on Burnett Road for great deals on discount designer fabrics. You will find something for every home interior project from gorgeous drapery fabrics to light weight cottons and luxurious Dupioni Silks.