We don’t always have the funds on hand when we get the urge to decorate. Thankfully, there are quite a few ways you can update your space without investing too much. Take a look at our list below to see all you can do–affordably.
1. Rearrange your furniture. A simple shift in furniture can make a bigger difference than you may realize. Pulling furniture away from walls, facing chairs in different directions, and even changing the focal point, can alter the look and feel of the room.
2. Change the color of your front door. Putting a fresh coat of paint on the front door is a great way to spruce up your home’s curb appeal. Shades of blue, red, yellow and green can be fun, as well as warm and welcoming.
3. Swap out your accent pillows. It doesn’t matter if you buy them new, put a cover on them, or have them custom made, pillows are probably the simplest and most affordable ways to give a room a little update. Up for a little DIY project? Check out our pillow items and fabric selection.
4. Put a slipcover on in. If your furniture looks dated but is still in good shape, consider a slipcover. A custom slipcover will cost more than the one-size-fits-all you’ll find at the department store, but you’ll get something more suited to your tastes without having to purchase a whole new chair or sofa.
5. Add detail with a chair rail. Thanks to stick-on molding, adding a chair rail is a super easy way to give a room visual interest. To create some drama, choose two different shades of a favorite color–one for above the rail and one for below it.
6. Illuminate differently. There are so many cool light fixtures these days–and many of them at really affordable prices. A chandelier, some pendant lighting, wall sconces, and even new lamps (or lampshades) can give the space a dramatic change.
7. Paint something. A quick color change on the walls isn’t the only place paint can help update the space. Paint built-ins if you have them. You could even paint your kitchen cabinets, or a piece of furniture such as an entryway table, hutch, or dresser.
8. Change up your wall hangings. If you’ve had the same things hanging on your walls for years consider rearranging them. You could purchase a few new items to replace some old or you could simply have some of your favorites reframed in a way that provides more impact.